The North Korean defector who made his brazen escape
under a hail of gunfire is suspected of being involved in a
vehicle accident while under the influence of alcohol.
South Korean intelligence sources reportedly said that
he made his brazen escape immediately following the
The defector was previously reported to have said that
he was involved in a crime “that led to a death.”
The North Korean defector who brazenly made his way across the
border with South Korea under a hail of gunfire in November is
reportedly suspected of driving under the influence, according to
a Dong-a Ilbo report on Wednesday.
The defector, identified as 24-year-old Chung-sung Oh, reportedly
suggested to a friend that he would give a tour of Panmunjom,
otherwise known as the “truce village,” in November, according to
a briefing from South Korea’s National Intelligence Service, the
primary intelligence agency in the country.
Oh, who was previously reported to be a driver for the North
Korean military, is believed to have hit a guardrail during the
drive with his friend.
After realizing what transpired, Oh is said to begun his escape
across the border, the Ilbo continued.
Oh was previously under suspicion of a crime after he alleged he
was involved in an incident “that led to a death,” the Ilbo said
in a previous report.
A reporter from Chosun Ilbo, another South Korean news
organization, also said he received a similar unconfirmed report
in December, in which Oh is believed to have been involved in a
vehicle accident involving another person and may have defected
in fear of being punished.
If the previous reports of Oh’s statement proves to be true, it
could complicate the proceedings and exclude him from benefits
for North Korean defectors, according to the South Korean
newspaper. But because the government does not have an
extradition treaty with North Korea, Oh does not appear to be at
risk of being sent back to the North.